Saturday, January 16, 2010

Music! Jay Reatard! Watch Me Fall!


What just happened? I'll tell you what just happened. I was just checking out Duksjen the Movie on myairblaster.com. When a song came on. An insanely catchy punk song. And in that instant, nothing made sense. I looked down at my green Van's and felt my beard and asked, "Who am I?" After a moment the Shazam app told me that the music playing was a song called Rotten Mind by a young man named Jay Reatard. Needing to investigate, I stopped the movie and went to iTunes to sample whatever I could find and decided to buy his latest album. And listening to it a couple times sparked some intense emotions. I'm stoked obviously to have found this, but at the same time...
Jay Reatard (pronounced Retard, but I say it Re Atard because I don't like the "r" word) plays a brand of early punk very reminiscent of The Clash and other various '70s punk bands, but a helluva lot catchier. Produced at my ideal level of lo-fi, this punk album has hooks catchier than a pop album complete with a forced brit-punk accent.
...I'm borderline pissed that this human existed and no one bothered to tell me. I honestly thought I had friends who were good at finding music, but this album makes me the indie rock finding king of my friends...
I started out by buying 'Watch Me Fall', his latest album, but shortly I'll be expanding my Jay Reatard stash hopefully to include his entire prolific collection. I can already tell that 'Watch Me Fall' will take a long time to get stale, but next on the "to buy" list is 'Blood Visions.
...It's also tragic that I only discovered Jay Reatard days after he died (May 1, 1980 – January 13, 2010). So in memory of Jay, I highly recommend that if you're reading this post, at least go on iTunes and sample some of his licks...

No comments:

Post a Comment